Name: Kathy G. Short
Institution: University of Arizona
Title of proposed program: Travel the World through Books
Audience: Children, Parents, Teachers
Books used: Global literature by local authors, illustrators, and translators. Children’s books in world languages. Display of the USBBY Outstanding International Books
Passports to be stamped
Brief outline of program or event:
Open house from 9-12 on a Saturday morning where visitors can travel from place to place in our center to get their passports stamped as they:
- See the original drafts and illustrations and talk to 5 local authors, illustrators, and translators who have books in global setting.
- Purchase their books and get them signed.
- Listen to international readers reading in 7 different languages from a display of children’s books from those countries
- Browse award-winning international books
- Receive bookmarks and book lists on global literature (these will be set up in different stations throughout the center to facilitate informal interactions and the stamping of passports.)